Friday, February 20, 2009

Keyboard Jockey Workouts - Designing the First Circuit

Today begins the first in a series of new circuits that I am experimenting with. This circuit was created by me but I won't necessarily be making all of them.

Small Disclaimer:
I am not a fitness expert, athlete, or trainer. I do not belong to a gym. I do not time my workouts to compete with anyone but myself. These workouts are designed around my current goals and fitness level. They are not intended as advice or instruction.

I do not count a rep that does not have complete ROM or perfect form. This is essential for making the time meaningful and is critical to avoiding injury.


The idea:
10 fireman squat curl press with 30lbs dumbbells
10 16kg Turkish get-ups with 2 snatches on top of each
10 ring pull-ups

3 rounds for time
The first attempt:
I was able to do two rounds with great difficulty at 13:54. My average heart rate was 171, maxing out at 188. The limiting factor for this circuit was the ring pull-ups. The next time this circuit comes up I need to either be better at ring pull-ups, do the 10 on a bar, or drop to doing 6 ring pull-ups. The second round I had to do a 4, 3, 2, 1 ladder to finish my ring pull-ups, 6 pull-ups would require a much more manageable 3, 2, 1 ladder. Three rounds is the goal for next time.

No comments: